Monday, July 26, 2010

Gut instinct


If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Seriously--weigh in on this one.
What do you do if your gut tells you one thing, but many people tell you another?
That SO undermines my instincts, I hate it.
It is hard for me to go against people I love-- especially when it's "people" and not "person".
At what point do you stop justifying and start listening to yourself?
At what point do you forsake being polite in favor of self-preservation?

1 comment:

  1. Excellent question and truly crappy dilemma. It makes me feel old to say it, but - My immediate family above all else. My wife, my children and me - and our happiness - must come first. Anything else, is against my instincts. Love the quote by BR.

    ReplyDelete